Monday, February 14, 2011

Pushing the limits

If you have been following my blog and my work, you would have noticed that I have a big fascination for patterns and textures. The patterns on my work can get detailed but I felt I could push my slip decorating skills further. I always wanted to try the hanna patterns applied to the hands of the Indian bride.

I started with this platter for which I made a floral pattern inspired by Arabic henna designs. I love the flow of the pattern with the shape of the platter.

I got great feedback on facebook with that platter and wondered, "Can I push myself further?"
So, I took a slab of clay (16x12 inches), put some lines on it as general placement of my pattern and went to town with it. I spent my entire Sunday doing this, so it did take me forever.
I will make a textured mat with this, so I can redo this pattern on other pieces of my work. I still have to figure out how that is going to work.
This might be moving my work in a new direction and hope it is a good one.


10 comments:

Ginger Steele said...

These are really great. I think that you should use this design vocabulary for tiles and wall art. More, please....

Anonymous said...

Wow, Gorgeous!!!!

CATHY DANIEL said...

Wow - that design is wonderful - can't wait to see where it all leads to!

Ant said...

That is amazing! Beautiful!

claydancer said...

These are gorgeous. Keep up the good work!

Sister Creek Potter said...

I have been reading your blog and watching your work grow since your photos of developing your studio! And I am a great admirer of your slip trailing work/skills. This IS over the wall! Great work.

edan said...

That's really great! I was wondering, how do you go about making a textured mat? Are you using silicone rubber?

I am also trying to allow myself more time to work on sculptural design, but it's hard to spend an entire weekend on a piece, and then sell it at a wholesale price!

Charan Sachar said...

I am using a 2-part polytek chemical similar to silicone rubber. Stinks real bad!

Anonymous said...

You are incredibly talented , Vicky! You must be wondering who this person is! This is Rama Muthukrishnan from Kuwait. Extremely glad to know and visit your Creative with Clay blog and get to know your creative and artistic talents.

Charan Sachar said...

It is so nice to hear from you. It is all part of the encouragement I have been getting from people like you as a child. It makes all the difference.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...