Sunday, January 30, 2011

When Potters Play Together

... we sure can have fun.

It is always a joy meeting other potters and chatting about pottery. We all lead pretty busy lives but it is great to hang out in the studio with another potter. I have been fortunate to hang out in Ginger Steele's studio from time to time. After the Christmas season was over, I made a trip to her studio in Oregon and we experimented with making sculptures constructed with coils.

Check out Ginger's cookie jar with the dog head. I am too embarrased to show what I made. It was a pretty saucy diva sculpture which unfortunately cracked on my trip back home. In any case it was fun and a good exercise.




A week back, Ginger visited our home and our goal was just to play in clay. We extruded some of my pillow shapes and this what Ginger made out of one of them.




I wanted to make some rectangular trays and she helped me make a plaster mold for that and I love the way the tray came out. Look out for these in my shop in the near future.



Ginger liked my extruder dies and had a design in mind for oval casseroles. We went through the process of designing it and I made the die for her which worked like a charm. Here is the casserole I made with that die. I am waiting to see what Ginger makes with that die in her studio.

It was time to spice up Ginger's Etsy shop. So we took pictures of her pots. I showed her how to edit them using picassa for Etsy and we listed her pots. Check out her shop. Really lovely work.



We had a great time and are looking forward to the next time we can play together.

3 comments:

Miss Val's Creations said...

I love Ginger's pieces. The artwork is beautiful. Cool cookie jar too! My boyfriend and I are starting a pottery class tonight. Neither of us have used a wheel before....should be interesting! ~Val

Charan Sachar said...

You will enjoy working on the wheel. It is very addicting. Just remember to have fun!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! The detail is spectacular!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...