Sunday, August 31, 2008

Inspiration

All artists need some kind of inspiration. And I don't think one can go around searching for inspiration. It is out there somewhere, but it doesn't have a sign on it saying "Inspiration". It could be something that catches your eye, a color, the way a leaf moves in the wind. One just has to be open to experience and inspiration will find its way to you.

I for one have always been fascinated by Indian culture, fabrics and especially Indian movies... Bollywood. Ever since we were kids I remember our family snuggling up in blankets watching 3+ hours of a Bollywood movie. Lots of singing and dancing, great colors and clothes. Story lines were all the same but it didn't matter. It was and it is fun. Complete entertainment. And as they say,... the movie has everything,... dance, drama, emotion, sex, betrayal, etc... etc..

I have tried to incorporate the fluidity and movement of the human body into my pottery forms and it is only till recently that I started doing decoration which reflects the Indian fabrics and embroidery. One source to help get started with this technique is Grace Sheese. http://www.gracesheese.com/

I still keep staring at her decorations and they are just wonderful.

I started experimenting and testing different glazes, techniques and tools and I am close to effect I like. attached are some pictures from a Bollywood movie and some of my sculptures. Do you see the resemblance?





2 comments:

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

I love hearing about how artists find their inspiration - and this was a beautifully written blog post - and your pieces are beautiful too!

Heather {naturally crafted mama} said...

thanks for stopping by and saying hello! Yes, Grace's work is absolutely beautiful, the details in it are amazing! Hopefully one day you will get to experience it in person :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...