Friday, November 6, 2009

New Teapot Design with cups

Last weekend I attended Ginger Steele's workshop on Form and texture. We made handbuilt mugs and a teapot with textured slabs along with textured roulettes and learning how to pull handles off the pot. I don't have pictures of the work I made there, but it sure was fun to learn.

What facinated most was the process of making a spout. I love those long elegant spouts which are next to impossible to throw on the wheel. Ginger's technique of rolling the slab on a mandrell was quick and efficient. I got back home and tried one of those spouts on my extruded teapots as seen in the picture above. This is one of my first handles pulled off the pot as well.
The cups are extrusions too which are rolled. I like this new design and will play with it some more.

Thinking about teapots, 5 years back, I made a 22 inch commisioned teapot for which I needed a long spout. I used Steven Hill's method to pull a spout from a pool stick. It came out fine, but it was a little heavier than I would like. I can't wait to play around more with teapots again but it will probably have to wait till the end of the year.



Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Happybee said...

they are absolutely wonderful!!!!

Ann said...

love, love, love the new mugs!

Alix said...

Hey, just wanted to let you know I'm passing a blog award on to you :)

http://paramipanda.blogspot.com/2009/11/one-lovely-blog-award.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...